Recipes: Winter Squash 4 Ways
- Prep time: 10 min
- Serves one
- 6 ounces almond milk
- 6 ounces Greek-style vanilla yogurt
- ½ organic pumpkin puree
- Dash cinnamon
- Place ingredients in blender. Blend for 45 seconds.
Turkey and Butternut Squash Soup
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 2 tsp. grapeseed oil
- 3 leeks, rinsed, chopped, and trimmed
- 2 small red bell peppers, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into one-inch cubes
- 1.5 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1 lb. turkey breast cutlets, but into small bite-sized pieces (can substitute chicken)
- Juice from one lime
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper
1. Cut squash in half, discard seeds, peel, and cut into cubes.
2. Heat oil in a large soup pot. Add leeks, bell peppers, and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often until vegetables soften.
3. Add garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in broth, rosemary, cumin, and squash; cover and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat and cook until squash is tender. Add turkey and return to a simmer until the turkey is cooked, about 5 minutes.
5. Add lime juice and crushed red pepper.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 lb. pumpkin, peeled and chopped into small cubes (can use 2 cups canned pumpkin)
- 30 ounces chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup light canned coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. ginger
Juice of one lemon
1. In a large soup pot sauté the onion in olive oil and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes until soft.
2. Add the pumpkin and stock and bring to a boil. Add ginger.
3. Reduce the heat and simmer partly covered for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is very soft.
4. Puree the soup in a food processor until smooth.
5. Add coconut milk and puree until mixed.
6. Add lemon juice and blend
Spaghetti Squash Sautee
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 to 60 minutes
- 1 spaghetti squash (about 1 pound)
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan or 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut squash in half lengthwise.
2. Place in baking dish with ¼ inch water face down. Bake for 45 minutes.
3. With a fork, remove seeds and discard. Scoop out flesh into a medium bowl separating into spaghetti-like strands.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté green onions and garlic for about 3 minutes. Add to squash and stir well.
5. Add cheese and toss to coat.